Cllr EZ Ngcane is the Whip of council for Nkomazi Local Municipality. The office of the Chief Whip is the nerve center of the party’s political management system and the engine of cohesion, discipline and accountability. This applies to all the public representatives, structures of the movement, and their constituencies.
The Whip of Council is required to:
- Ensure the effective and efficient functioning of the Whips Committee and the Whippery system.
- Assist the Speaker to maintain order in Council by requiring Councillors to adhere to the Rules of Council regarding general conduct in meetings.
- Ensure the allocation of Councillors to standing committees in accordance with the representation of parties in Council.
- Ensure that Councillors observe the Code of Conduct for Councillors in any meetings, workshops or seminars approved by the Speaker.
- Ensure that Councillors are familiar with the Code of Conduct for Councillors and to facilitate training as and when there is such a need.
- The Role of the Chief Whip of Council covers both the political and administrative domains of Council with emphasis on the political aspect.
- Ensuring that the relationship between parties is constructive and focused on key issues that are aimed at improving service delivery and the lives of the residents in Nkomazi.
- Ensuring that there is equitable representation in Committees of Council.
- Giving feedback to the leading party concerning how local government is functioning in terms of the party’s election manifesto.
- Ensuring that councillors attend to their duties, assists in deploying councillors to various committees and ensuring that all councillors are accountable.